Tuesday 14 September 2010

The Many Faces of Depression

Estimates of depression rates vary considerably but it has been suggested that it will occur in 15 - 20 % of all people over a lifetime. In every 12 months about 10% of the population experiences an episode of significant depression. At this moment it is estimated that 121 million people are suffering from depression throughout the world. Depression is a major problem.

Depression typically has the symptoms of sadness, loss of energy, feelings of guilt and anxiety and loss of self esteem. There can be changes in appetite and sleep. The depressive illness can range from interfering with our usual activities and relationships (mild to moderate depression) to making it hard to relate or communicate with others or to do day-to-day tasks ( debilitating or severe depression). Depression symptoms can affect anyone regardless of race, culture and social class. It can affect men, women, children, adolescents and the elderly. However, how a depressed preschooler looks will probably be different from an 80 year old.

Depression and the young

Children who are depressed loose interest in the activities that they have previously enjoyed. They may not be able to connect how they feel to words like sad or down but they show the signs of a change of appetite, irritability, sleep problems and low energy. They tend not to mix with the other children at school. Children who are depressed may have themes of death and loss in their play (all children include such ideas sometimes - but they show up more often in depressed children,)

There is an increasing rate of depression among young people (from preschoolers to young adults). It is likely that the reported rates of depression are lower than the real numbers as parents and professionals often fail to recognise the problem.

Depression and the elderly

Many people view old age as depressing - there is often a decline in health and an increase in disability. There is also the loss of friends and loved ones. Some sadness and feelings of grieve associated with the losses are to be expected and indeed it is important to grieve losses. Depression however, is not an inevitable part of old age. Depression in the elderly will look similar to depression in any age group but the elderly are more likely to talk about their aches and pains than their feelings. Depression can interfere with memory - so depression needs to be considered in short term memory problems and not just Alzheimer's or dementia. If asked about depression the elderly often scoff at the idea and this can stop them from getting the support and assistance they need to overcome the problem.

Elderly men are particularly at the risk of suicide.

Depression and men

Men often tend to cover up their feelings of depression and keep the idea that they may be depressed hidden from others. They see being depressed as a sign of weakness. They have been taught from childhood that mental illness and emotional problems are unmanly and they cover up negative feelings. Rather then admit their feelings men commonly turn to alcohol, cigarettes and other drugs to cope. Some express anger, irritability and sarcasm. Some will admit to the loss of energy, altered appetite, aches and poor sleep. However the unwillingness to consider that they are depressed means that they can be reluctant to seek help and support for overcoming the problems

Depression and women

Women tend to suffer from depression more than men (at least in the number of cases that are reported). The rates of depression during pregnancy, after childbirth and prior to menopause are higher than at other times. There also social and cultural factors such as sexual and physical abuse, juggling childcare, housework and a career, stress and low income. Depression during or after childbirth is a major problem - over 400,000 cases occur every year in the United States. Eight out of ten women will experience some form of alteration to their moods during or following pregnancy.

Depression is a problem that has many faces - it affects men women and children of all races and cultures. The way these groups appear can be sightly different but they all experience the feelings of sadness, They can also have the loss of energy, change of appetite, aches, lowered self esteem and poor sleep. There are many things that can be done to overcome depression. If you are depressed, particularly of you are suffering from severe depression, you need to seek professional assistance. You can also obtain support and assistance from Growerz overcome depression program.

Dr Jenny Tylee is an experienced health professional who is passionate about health and wellbeing. She believes that health is not just absence of disease and seeks to actively promote vitality and wellness through empowering others. She encourages those who are feeling depressed to seek help and join the Growerz defeat depression program. Jenny owns Health Product Site which has vitamin, minerals and herbs that can assist with depression. She also owns Safe Colon Cleansing which provides information on detoxifying the body which has been shown to be beneficial in depression.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dr_Jenny_Tylee

1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete